Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Baking Extravaganza

'Tis the season to bake! One of the best things about the holiday season is all of the amazing food, specifically, desserts! My mother-in-law brought some delicious cookies to us a few weeks ago when they were visiting, but those are long gone by now... so I thought I'd make some of my own. Damon also swears that we need to leave cookies out for Santa, but I know this is really just his ploy to get me to make gingerbread men for him.

I tried a few different recipes this year and thought I'd share them here.

--

Gingerbread Men
Recipe from Toni Spilsbury

These turned out really great! The cookies have the perfect gingerbread taste and are soft and chewy. If you let them sit in the fridge overnight and then bring them back to room temperature the dough is easy to work with. I used royal icing on some of them, and store bought frosting for some others, with sprinkles and m&ms to finish them off Damon really likes them, but decorating is so. much. work.

--

Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge
Recipe from Dashing Dish

Katie over at Dashing Dish is incredible. Seriously. I have made *so* many recipes off of her website, and all of them have been amazing. The best part is they are healthy versions of your classic dishes, and they still taste great. This fudge was no exception. It doesn't taste like your traditional fudge because of the cream cheese, but I think it tastes even better. Next time I would definitely use saran wrap in the pan to help get it out easier.

--

Raspberry-Almond Linzer Cookies
Recipe from Real Simple

I wanted to make these cookies just because of the way they look. I think they are so pretty, and with the Christmas shaped cutters I found at Michael's, they are even festive! This was probably the most time-intensive recipe, but they are pretty good. I think I rolled out the cookies a little too thick, so I would change that next time. Overall, this recipe worked nicely.

--

Peppermint Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Recipe from Martha Stewart

These are probably my favorite cookie that I made. The actual cookie has a subtle mint flavor which pairs so well with the mini-chocolate chips. The cookies are then topped with icing and crushed candy canes. Super easy to make, and I think they are delicious. Just keep an eye on them in the oven, I burnt my whole first pan!

--

When making more than one cookie recipe, I found it easiest to make everything in stages. I made all of the dough one day and let is set in the refrigerator overnight. The next day I made the cookies and once they cooled all the way, I froze them. I took them out yesterday to bring them all back to room temperature and added the icing and finishing touches today. Does anyone have any traditions or must make recipes for the holidays? Please let me know if you end up making any of the above recipes and what you think.

Hope everyone has a safe and blessed Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment