Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Ironman

So here's the deal... over the last 14 weeks, Damon has been training 6 days a week.. hours each session. Match this up with him working over 55 hours a week (plus traveling), and I basically haven't seen my husband since July. But that is ok. It was all for this. This one day. Race day.

Damon has done plenty of triathlons, but this 70.3 was the longest one he has ever done. For those of you that aren't familiar with this crazy triathlon world, a half ironman is kind of hardcore. It is a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike course followed by a 13.1 mile run. And yes, a ton of people do this.. for FUN! Even though it is not my cup of tea, I'm always ready to support the hubby in his psycho endeavors :)

Our morning started around 4am to make sure we had plenty of time to get ready and get to the race site. Once we got to the expo center we did a lot of running around to check on gear while trying to stay warm (it was 45 degrees!)

"Why is it so cold?"
It is so eerie to see all of the run bags lined up while its still dark out...


**DISCLAIMER - cheering and trying to take pictures is something I have yet to figure out.. especially that part about trying to get Damon in focus, please ignore the horrible quality of what you are about to see! I will work on it, I promise!**

Don't be fooled by the beautiful sunrise... it was freezing!
We also watched the pros start to come in... this is a super blurry picture, but it is Andy Potts so who cares!! (PS he won today)


 8:25am finally rolled around and Damon's wave got started, and he was off!




6 hours and 15 minutes later he crossed the finish line (sorry for the terrible video quality)



Thanks Fernanda for grabbing this other angle:


There are no words to describe how extremely proud I am of him. He has worked his tail off, and I'm so happy that he was able to accomplish this. He is such an inspiration to me. He set this goal for himself a few months ago, and through dedication and determination - he reached it.

This man can do anything he sets his mind to, and I'm so honored to be the one by his side throughout it all.


Great job today Damon, I love you!

---------

HUGE thanks to Agnes, Neil, Fernanda, Paula & Dario for keeping me company today and supporting Damon, you guys rock!

---------

**PS - Macca (Chris McCormack) was in the penalty box near where I was standing, so I obviously got a few pictures and then tweeted him... he tweeted me back :)**


So.. what did YOU do today? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment